Why choose this course?
- with the clear advent of Person Centred Planning and recent legislation ~ Mental Capacity Act 2005, the emphasis is on using whatever communication possible with users of the service
- at times our own embarrassment at our inability to communicate with those with different ways of communicating is the main barrier
- understanding how we send out subtle messages through our bodies enables us to facilitate communication and enable others
- CQC have started to use this course for their inspectors as part of their change in inspections to more dialogue with users of the service
- positive results ~ clarity and purpose of communication enabling advocacy, choice and more satisfaction for users of the service and staff alike
Length of course: 1 day 9.30 ~ 4.30 pm
Expected outcomes: by the end of the course participants will be able to
- understand their own responses to communicating with people with more complex communication needs
- be more sensitive to the purpose, effect and experience of communication for the person using the service
- recognise the physical responses to a range of emotions, how these are displayed and how the subsequent messages given can affect effective communication
- see when these are adversely affecting connection with people who use the service, know how to reground themselves and regain purposeful communication
- have more confidence in communicating through signs, images, objects etc
- assess the risk of relying on a key worker to facilitate communication with a person with communication needs (particularly with regard to adult safeguarding)
- know where to go for further resources and training in Augmentative and
- Alternative Communication (AAC)
Nature of training: maximum of 16 staff members in participative group work.
Exercises will range from lecture style input (small) to discussion and small group work and to individual sharing within pairs.
Hand outs will be provided to reinforce all theoretical input.
Some visual work will contribute to the sessions.
Please note, although Makaton and Bliss symbols, amongst others, will be explained these will not be taught in this one day session. Information as to where to acquire these skills will be given.