Why choose this course?
- you may have given your staff basic awareness training in adult safeguarding but do the users of your service understand how to protect themselves?
- our increased expectation is for people with intellectual impairments to take part in the wider society, this will result in greater risks for some people with learning difficulties and a greater vulnerability to abuse
- research has indicated that some people with either learning difficulties and/or mental health issues are seen as ‘vulnerable’ by those looking to groom individuals for financial or sexual abuse -’mate crimes’
- open to service users independently or supported by a staff member, please contact the trainer if there are concerns about the communication skills of the supported service user or the appropriateness of the course
- this day is ideal for users of the service and their key workers, key workers will be expected to fully participate
- CQC will now be talking to users of the service about protection issues on the new, service user focused, inspections
- this course gives staff exercises which they can take back into the workplace
- positive results ~ users of the service will be able to trust their own intuition, know who to go to for assistance and how to minimise risks, staff will be able to support a person to self advocate and increase their independence
Length of course: 1 day 9.30 – 4.00 (if these hours don’t work for the users of your service they can be adjusted to two half days)
Expected outcomes: ~ by the end of the course participants will be able to
- know which behaviours and actions by others are abusive and unacceptable
- understand the signs their bodies send them when they are scared or indanger
- look at those situations they find most confusing and in which they are most vulnerable
- explore how to respond differently when being threatened or coerced
- practice speaking out and saying No i.e. self advocating
- know who to go to for help and when
- better protect themselves from abuse
Nature of course:
This course will use badge-making, collage, pictures, role play and drama. As some body work will be used it is important that participants wear loose, comfortable clothing.
This course is well suited for users of the service plus key workers.
If delivered to staff it is offered to a maximum of 16 per course. That number would be adjusted if only users of the service attended so that an appropriate level of support was available. It is preferably to have a mix of both groups.